The job interview process can be nerve-wracking, but when you know what to expect, you’ll be able to speak about your experience and qualifications with confidence. If you’re pursuing a career in the cannabis industry, you’ll probably need to complete a job interview in order to find employment, whether you’re interested in becoming a Quality Assurance Associate, Processing Technician, Customer Service Representative, Sales Associate, Cultivation Technician or another role in the industry.
When applying for a cannabis career, not only are job interviews a great opportunity to showcase your skills but they’re also a chance for an employer to get to know you, beyond what they’ve seen on your resume.
As you complete your training and begin job searching, keeping a few common interview questions in mind will enhance your chances of success and bring you one step closer to landing your dream career. Below, discover five common interview questions you can expect when looking for jobs in the cannabis industry.
1. Tell Us About Yourself
This question, along with other personal, open-ended questions, is a common way for interviewers to get to know the candidate they’re potentially hiring. When interviewing for cannabis careers, this is a great opportunity to highlight your personality traits and skills that align with the position you’re applying for. Follow these tips when answering this question:
- Keep your answers focused on the industry and position at hand
- Discuss the qualities that make you a good candidate for the job
- Mention hobbies or passions which exemplify characteristics you’d like the interviewer to notice
If you keep these tips in mind, interviewers will be sure to see why you would be a great fit for the position at hand.
2. What Kind of Experience Do You Have in the Cannabis Industry?
No matter the position you’re applying for, you can expect to get this question in almost any interview. This is how the interviewer ensures that you have the technical skills and experience necessary to excel in their organization. When answering, make sure to:
- Elaborate on the practical skills you developed while training at AAPS
- Be as specific as possible in order to demonstrate your expertise
- Mention all opportunities you’ve had to apply your skills within the field and what the positive results were
When you describe your background in the cannabis industry clearly, interviewers will have a better picture of how your experience qualifies you for the position at hand.
3. Can You Tell Us What You Know About Our Organization?
Often asked in order to gauge a candidate’s level of interest in the position, it’s important to prepare for this interview question after your cannabis industry training. Here are some tips for giving a great answer:
- Conduct thorough research on the company beforehand
- Understand the company’s mission statement, values and culture
- Familiarize yourself with the products sold or manufactured
The more you know about the organization you’re interviewing with, the better prepared you will be to demonstrate your compatibility as a potential employee.
4. Why Did You Choose to Pursue Cannabis Industry Training?
While your interviewer wants to ensure that you’re qualified for the position at hand, it’s also important to them that you’re taking the job for the right reasons. Companies don’t want to hire a candidate who’s only planning on committing to the position for a few months. Rather, they’re looking for someone passionate about this particular career path. When answering this question, be sure to:
- Speak about your interests within the cannabis industry
- Describe what inspires you about this career path
- Avoid stating reasons solely based on compensation
When your interviewer knows that you’re truly interested in working for them, they’ll be more likely to consider you seriously as a candidate.
Thinking about enrolling in a cannabis course?
Start training for a career in the industry with a program at AAPS!