- This event has passed.
Cannabis Extraction Workshop for the Canadian Industry
September 21, 2019 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm$585.00
Cannabis Extraction Workshop
Live interactive and instructor led
I enrolled in Biomedical engineering technology – Equipment and Devices. I felt the cannabis industry was leaning towards more automation and machinery to produce various products such as extraction systems, formulations, and emulsions.
I’ve followed the regulations of legal cannabis since the MMAR.
As a person with gastrointestinal issues, understanding how cannabis is researched in a medical framework is extremely exciting to me. Being able to see a refined product that innovates the science behind cannabinoids is what drives my passion for extraction. Providing this experience to upcoming students I believe will help shape the future of cannabis research.
Cannabis Extraction is a method of selective separation of cannabinoids and other desired compounds from the plant matter using physical or chemical techniques.
Covering supercritical, hydrocarbon and ethanol extraction, this workshop will guide the attendee through the solvent extraction processes, the infrastructure requirements, and how to properly use and store these compounds.
Here you will:
- Learn about extraction technologies and a summary of each type
- Learn about subcritical & supercritical phases of CO2 and its use as an extraction solvent
- Perform a simulation of common extraction processes, such as weighing and preparing concentrated cannabinoid samples for HPLC preparation, and other downstream post-extraction processes
- Gain understanding of regulations surrounding infrastructure and safety
- Study hydrocarbon components, systems, and how they operate
- Acquire knowledge of how ethanol is produced and what makes it an efficient solvent
- Gain understanding of temperatures surrounding extraction and what compounds are desirable
- Visualize post processes such as filtration, solvent recovery, colour remediation, and final packaging
- Anatomy of cannabis and how it relates to extraction
- Extraction technologies and a summary of each type
- Subcritical & Supercritical phases of CO2 and how they are different
- Extraction principles such as polarity, solubility, and viscosity
- Extraction equipment and their role in the extraction process
- Safety and good production practices in your role as an extraction technician, including labeling conventions of chemical items in the laboratory
- Prerequisite steps prior to extraction and downstream processes post extraction
- Hydrocarbons – Different types of Alkanes
- Infrastructure Requirements – Class 1 Division 1
- PPE and Safety regulations
- Butane Extraction Components and basic procedure
- Final products of hydrocarbon extraction
- Ethanol source, storage and other operational considerations
- Solvent extraction using ethanol and filtration
- Temperature considerations regarding solvent extraction
- Extraction equipment and basic procedure
- Solvent recovery devices
- Co-solvent extraction
Who Should Attend
This course is intended for those who are enthusiastic about alcohol solvent extraction, either as someone who would like to gain insight on this aspect of their business or to gauge whether extractions could be a potential career option. The course covers a wide and general overview of extraction sciences, and as such, no previous scientific background is required.
Certificate of Attendance and Course Material
- All participants will receive a certificate of attendance upon completion of the course.
- The participants will be receiving specially prepared course manual.