This course will examine various unit operations in food/edible processing. Topics examined will include thermal processing, irradiation, blanching, pasteurization, fermentation, and filtration. Other food/edible processing techniques including drying and freezing will be examined.
Topics examined will include meat, milk, beverages, baked products, breakfast cereals, ice cream, cheese edible oils, and milk. Other food/edible processing sectors including chocolate and candies will be examined.
- Food and Edible Processing Principles (introduction to food and edible processing and description of common unit operations, section on food enzymes and their use in processing)
- Dehydration and Concentration (history and use)
- Freezing and Refrigeration (history and use)
- Thermal Processing (history and use)
- Extraction (cannabis extraction, overview of most used techniques, i.e. CO2, ethanol, etc.)
- Packaging (packaging types and uses, inclusion of cannabis packaging examples commonly found on the market and brief explanation of restrictions)
- + In Class Registration CAD $1900 + HST