This course is developed to provide the students with the knowledge and skills necessary to evaluate and inspect the sanitary status of food/edible plants. The course is designed for traditional college students as well as satisfying continuing education. This course introduces hygienic practices, requirements for sanitation programs and modern sanitation practices in food/edible processing facilities.
- Introduction to Cleaning and Sanitation (overview of purpose of sanitation, identification of common food pathogens and broad overview of pathogen-favoured environmental conditions, overview of biofilms)
- Hygiene and Food Handling (employee hand washing, code of practice)
- Facility Design and Programs (flow-through pattern, building and manufacturing surface materials, programs such as pest control, material receiving, storage, etc.)
- Sanitation Verification (testing, swabbing, environmental control program)
- Sanitizing, Cleaning, and Disinfection (difference between the three, what they are used for, commonly used products, biocide for biofilms)
- Sanitation Equipment
- + In Class Registration CAD $1500 +HST